Increase or decrease font size for easier reading :
Yuen Long is situated in the northwest of the New Territories
in a large alluvial plain surrounded by hills on three sides. The district covers Ping Shan Heung,
Ha Tsuen Heung, Kam Tin Heung, Pat Heung, San Tin Heung, Shap Pat Heung, Yuen Long Town and
Tin Shui Wai.
Nam Pin Wai village
Worshippers write down their wishes on red papers and hang them on the
coil incenses in order to pray for blessings.
Tai Wong Temple is located inside Nam Pin Wai village. It is part of
Yuen Long Old Market, which is one of the oldest commercial centres in Hong Kong.
Tai Wong Temple was built for the worship of Hung Shing Wong and Yeung Hau.
Hung Shing Wong could predict the weather accurately and enable good harvest so
he helped the fishermen and farmers. Yeung Hau was a loyal and brave official during the Southern Song dynasty.
He protected the young emperor.
Cheung Shing Street is a street separating Nam Pin Wai and Sai Pin Wai villages.
It was dividing the centre of the old market. Temples were built to worship and to judge
when disputes arose.
Tai Wong Temple has more than 200 years of history. It is a one-hall
building with two courtyards.
Yuen Long Old Market is surrounded by Nam Pin Wai and Sai Pin Wai,
two old wall villages in Yuen Long.
This old house is located in Kwan Lok San Tsuen village and has
a beautiful architecture.
Many villages in New Territories have entrance gate.
it is flanked with a pair of Guardian Lions. The lions made of stone are situated on both sides
of the main entrance gate. The lion on the left is female and has a cub under her paw.
The lion on the right is male and has a pearl under his paw.
Hung Shing Temple
Today Ping Shan is a starting point for a heritage trail which is
dotted with 18 historical sites.
Tang clan has lived around Ping Shan for 800 years.
In year 2007, the Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery opened its
doors to the public. More than 40 relics have been donated to the gallery by
the Tangs of Ping Shan.
The Hung Shing Temple was constructed by the Tang Clan residing in Ping Shan.
The existing structure was rebuilt in 1866 followed by a substantial renovation in 1963.
In year 2006 Ping Shan was the grand
winner in the SCMP Preserving Villages series, a project to highlight communities among the
600 surviving New Territories villages that are working to keep alive their heritage and
The large Ping Shan village and most of the surrounding hamlets were home to
the great Tang clan that settled in the northwest New Territories more than 900 years
Over the centuries, the Tangs built elaborate communal buildings
and ancestral halls. Many remain proud living monuments to the clan's power and wealth.
Ching Shu Hin, adjoining Kun Ting Study Hall, was constructed shortly after
the completion of the Study Hall in 1870. It was intended to serve as a guest house
for prominent visitors and scholars.
The stone-built guest house was a place of rest for
passing visitors on the paved pathway that ran from Guangzhou to Dongguan and then
through villages down to the magistracy at the walled fortress town of Kowloon.
The ancestral hall was first built in 1273 and repaired three centuries
The clan hall used to be the site of the Tat Tak School accommodating
several hundred students.
Yeung Hau Temple is a simple structure, divided into three bays housing the statues of Hau Wong,
Kam Fa and To Tei.
Yeung Hau Temple
The Ping Shan Heritage Trail reveals interesting ancient buildings
still standing in the Yuen Long district.
The Tsui Shing Lau was erected in about 1486 by a 7th generation Tang clansman.
Once seven storeys high, today only three remain. The rest were destroyed in a typhoon.
It is Hong Kong's only genuine pagoda from pre-British times.
In year 2006, when a 12-year-old boy
was killed hit by a truck, the tragedy ignited a storm of protest from residents with the
nearby container storage sites. The controversy is mired in the New Territories' complex
town-planning history. The rural area of the New Territories did not have zoning control
until 1991. Before the implementation of the Town Planning Ordinance in 1991, the government
could only control land use in the rural area through land leases.
Ping Shan area remains largely rural and villages spreads over.
Ping Shan village
The Ping Shan Trail, meandering through Hang Mei Tsuen, Hang Tau Tsuen and Sheung Cheung Wai,
is about one kilometer long.